The 10 most popular tennis tournaments in the world
The following is a list of the 10 most popular tennis tournaments in the world, which are famous around the world. The income from these activities is in the tens of millions of dollars, obtaining some 100s of millions of people.
- Wimbledon: Originally from 1877, Wimbledon is the oldest and most popular tennis tournament in the world. It is also one of four Grand Slam tournaments to be held. Interestingly it is still played on grass instead of pavement.
- French Open: The tournament is named after a famous aviator, Roland Garros, and is one of four Grand Slam tournaments. It usually takes place between the end of May and the beginning of June of each year. The tennis tournaments originated in 1891
- US Open: Held in August and September, the tournament is the last Grand Slam competition. The tennis tournament was first held in 1881 and only included men. Women were allowed to play from 1887.
- Australian Open: Originally from 1905, it is one of four Grand Slam tournaments. It takes place in Melbourne at the heart of the Australian summer. The 2010 tennis tournament had 653,860 attendees.
- Rogers Cup: This is a most popular tennis tournament held in Toronto and Montreal alternately every year. Competitions are held every August since 1881 for men and 1,892 for women.
- Davis Cup: Originally from 1900, it is a most popular tennis tournament for male competitors. 137 countries participate in the tournaments held each year. The top 16 national teams are assigned to the World Group in which they compete for the Davis Cup. Those who are not chosen to compete in the World Group, go to the Americas, Asia / Oceania and Europe / Africa zones.
- Cincinnati Open: This is a clay tennis event held every year in Mason, Ohio. The event began in 1889 and is the oldest tennis tournament to be played in its home city. It is part of the Masters 1000 of ATP World Tours.
- Sony Ericsson Open: This is a most popular tennis tournament held in Miami for men and women competitors. It is an ATP World Tours Masters 1000 and is held annually in March.
- Bell Open: This is a WTA Tier 3 tennis tournament held in Quebec City since 1993. The tennis tournament is played indoor and has been played by those who went on to win the Grand Slam, including Maria Sharapova.
- Hopman Open: The tennis tournament is held every January in Melbourne, Australia. It is the competition of the official team of the ITF.